Pedagogy Innovation, Technology and Design,
Pillar / Cluster: Science, Mathematics and Technology
Dr. Sumbul Khan holds a Ph.D. in Computational Design (Architecture) from University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom. Dr. Khan has considerable experience in research, teaching, mentoring and supervision. She is experienced in research grant writing involving inter-disciplinary research and is the primary author of two successful grant applications with a combined budget of over 1 million SGD. Dr. Khan has led several research and design consultation projects at the former SUTD-MIT International Design Centre, and collaborated with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds. Her interests span design science, design and STEM education, architecture, generative design and human-computer interaction.
- PhD in Computational Design, Dept of architecture, University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom
- Msc (Distinction) in Architecture Computing Studies, University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom
- Bachelor of Architecture, Indraprastha University, India
Design Science and Design education, STEM Education, Computational Design, Human-Computer Interaction
- Khan, S., I. Hendra, S. T. Sudhindra, N. Muthalib and L. Blessing (2023), “Find the gap: An approach for visualizing and analysing design competencies in a university with interdisciplinary curriculum“, Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Engineering Design, ICED23 Bordeaux, France 24-28 July 2023
- Khan, S., Blessing, L., Ndiaye, Y. (2023). “Artificial intelligence for competency assessment in Design education: a review of literature”. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Research into Design, ICoRD’23, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 9-11 Jan 2023, Springer.
- S. Khan, M.Lee, L.Ong, S.Chua, L. Blessing (2021), Stories on the Transformation of Education by Design, Singapore University of Technology and Design. ISBN 978-981-18-2043-4.
- Khan, S., A. Achenbach, W. Q. Yow and L. Blessing (2021), “A case study on the design of touch-based user interfaces for multilingual older adults from southeast-asian backgrounds” Proceedings of the 5th Asian CHI Symposium, May 7th-8th, 2021.
- Khan, S., L. Blessing (2020), Assessment in Design Education: The potential of AI, Eduscapes 2020: An SUTD Pedagogy Newsletter, Edition 4
- P.Silva, Khan, S. & L. Blessing (2020), State of Design Education in Singapore: Insights from the Design Education Summit 2018, Proceedings of the Design Society: DESIGN Conference 1, 1805-1814.
- Khan, S., K. Maheshwary, R. Arlitt and L. Blessing (2020) “Assessment of conceptual design problems comprising design rationale and sketches” in International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE2020 August 16-19, 2020, St. Louis, MO, USA
- Arlitt R, Khan, S., Blessing L, (2019) “Feature Engineering for Design Thinking Assessment”, Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Engineering Design, 5 – 8 August 2019 Delft, The Netherlands. [Best Paper award]
- Khan, S. and Tunçer, B. (2019) “Gesture and speech elicitation for 3D CAD modeling in conceptual design”, Automation in Construction, 106, p. 102847. doi: 10.1016/j.autcon.2019.102847. [Journal Impact Factor 4.3]
- Khan, S. and Tunçer, B. (2019) “Speech analysis for conceptual CAD modeling using multi-modal interfaces: An investigation into Architects’ and Engineers’ speech preferences”, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing. Cambridge University Press, pp. 1–14. doi: 10.1017/s0890060419000015.
- Khan, S., Tuncer B, Subramanian R, Blessing L. (2019) “3D CAD modeling using gestures and speech: Investigating CAD legacy and non-legacy procedures”, in Proceedings of CAAD futures 2019. Daejeon, South Korea.
- Tunçer, B. and Khan, S. (2018), “User Defined Conceptual Modeling Gestures”, in Ji Hyun-Lee (Ed.), Computational Studies on Cultural Variation and Heredity, Springer, Singapore, pp. 115–125.
- Khan, S., Tuncer B (2017) “Intuitive and effective manipulation gestures for 3D CAD modeling for conceptual architectural design”, ACADIA 2017-Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture, MIT, USA.
- Khan, S., Rajapakse H, Zhang H, Tuncer B, Nanayakkara S, Blessing L (2017) “GesCAD: An Intuitive Interface for Conceptual Architectural Design, OzCHI 2017: Human-Nature—The 29th Australian conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Brisbane.
- Khan, S., Chase S C, 2016, “Strategic style change using grammar transformations”, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, Cambridge University Press.
- Ahmad Khan S, Chase S C, 2012 “Style representation in design grammars”, Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 39(3) 486 – 500.
- Ahmad Khan S, 2012, “Representation of Type in grammatical design” in Proceedings of the 17th International conference of the Association for Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA), 25-28 April 2012 Chennai, India.
- Ahmad Khan S, Chase S, 2007, “Transforming grammars for goal driven style innovation: testing a methodology”, in Predicting the Future, Proceedings of the 25th Conference on Education in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe Ed J Kieferle, J Ehlers (eCAADe, Frankfurt) 879-88
- Ahmad Khan S, Chase S, 2006 “Grammar Representations to Facilitate Style Innovation: An Example From Mobile Phone Design”, in Communicating Spaces, Proceedings of the 24st Conference on Education in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe Ed V Bourdakis, D Charitos (eCAADe, Volos ) 320-324
- Chase, S.C. and Ahmad Khan, S; Martins, Bob and Brown, Andre, eds. (2005) Grammar transformations : using composite grammars to understand hybridity in design. In: CAAD futures 2005. CAADFutures . IRIS-ISIS Publications, GBR, pp. 89-98. ISBN 3854372760