Telephone: +65 6499 4513
Telephone: +65 6499 4513
Pillar / Cluster: Science, Mathematics and Technology
Ong Eng Shi pursued a PhD in Chemistry from the University of Bristol, UK. His main research interests lie in Green Chemistry for Analytical Chemistry and Metabolites Profiling.
- PhD, Chemistry, University of Bristol, UK, 2004
- MSc, Chemistry, University of Bristol, UK, 1994
- BSc, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 1994
- Extraction technologies such as pressurized liquid extraction and pressurized hot water extraction.
- Separation techniques such as gas chromatography, gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography, capillary electrophoresis, tandem mass spectrometry and other analytical techniques.
- Molecular mechanism and signal transduction pathway in the inhibitory effects of drugs, natural products and botanicals in animal or human cancer cell lines.
- Evaluation of toxicity of drugs, natural products and botanical extracts in mouse/rat model with metabonomics investigation of urine.
- Biomakers in human disease model with metabonomics.
- Liu F, Gan PP, Wu H, Woo WS, Ong ES, Li SF, A combination of metabolomics and metallomics studies of urine and serum from hypercholesterolaemic rats after berberine injection. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2012 May;403(3):847-56.
- Ong ES, Zou L, Li S, Cheah PY, Eu KW, Ong CN. Metabolic profiling in colorectal cancer reveals signature metabolic shifts during tumorigenesis. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2010 Feb 10.
- Law WS, Huang PY, Ong ES, Sethi SK, Saw S, Ong CN, Li SF. Combination of 1H nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry with pattern recognition techniques for evaluation of metabolic profile associated with albuminuria. J Proteome Res. 2009 Apr;8(4):1828-37.
- Cheong J, Goh D, Yong JW, Tan SN, Ong ES. Inhibitory effect of kinetin riboside in human heptamoa, HepG2. Mol Biosyst. 2009 Jan;5(1):91-8
- Teo CC, Tan SN, Yong JW, Hew CS, Ong ES. Pressurized hot water extraction (PHWE). J Chromatogr A. 2010 Apr 16;1217(16):2484-94. (Invited Review)
- Teo CC, Tan SN, Yong JW, Hew CS, Ong ES. Evaluation of the extraction efficiency of thermally labile bioactive compounds in Gastrodia elata Blume by pressurized hot water extraction and microwave-assisted extraction. J Chromatogr A. 2008 Feb 22;1182(1):34-40.
- Ong ES, Cheong JS, Goh D. Pressurised hot water extraction of bioactive or marker compounds in botanicals and medicinal plant materials. J Chromatogr A. 2006 Apr 21;1112(1-2):92-102. (Invited Review)